Carbon steel pans are popular among chefs and home cooks alike because they provide superior heat distribution, great heat retention, and a beautiful patina that develops as it is used.
If you’re like most people, you probably use a carbon steel pan at least once a week. They’re great for everything from searing steak to frying eggs.
However, to keep your carbon steel pan in good condition, it’s important to clean it properly after each use.
In this ultimate guide, I will teach you how to clean and care for your carbon steel pan using simple and effective methods.
Wow to clean carbon steel pan – Step by Step Method
To maintain and preserve seasoning, it is important to clean your carbon steel pan properly and often. Here is the step-by-step method of cleaning carbon steel pan.
1. Rinse: Start by rinsing the pan with warm water. This will help to remove any large pieces of food or dirt that may be stuck on the surface.
2. Scrub: Use a sponge or non-abrasive scrubbing pad to gently scrub away any remaining dirt and debris from the surface of the pan. You may need to use some mild dish soap or baking soda during this step for particularly stubborn dirt.
3. Dry: After you have finished scrubbing, dry the pan with a soft, clean cloth. This will help to prevent rusting and ensure that your pan is ready for its next use.
4. Season: After rinsing and drying, you should season your pan by rubbing a thin layer of oil onto the surface of the pan. Vegetable or olive oil can be used for this step. Make sure to coat all sides of the pan, including the handle and outside surface.
5. Heat: Place the pan on a stovetop over medium heat for 1-2 minutes. This will help to seal in all of the oil you applied during the seasoning process.
6. Finish: Once your pan is seasoned and heated, it is ready to use. Make sure to only use non-abrasive utensils and non-metal scrubbing pads when cleaning the pan to ensure that your seasonings remain intact.
By following these steps, you should be able to keep your carbon steel pan clean and free from rust. It is important to properly clean and season the pan after each use to ensure that your pans last for many years.
How to clean a carbon steel pan with vinegar?
While carbon steel pans require some special care to maintain their longevity, cleaning them with vinegar is an easy process that keeps the pan in good condition for many years of use.
Here are the steps for cleaning a carbon steel pan with vinegar:
1. Fill your kitchen sink with hot, soapy water and add 1-2 tablespoons of white vinegar. If you have especially hard water in your area, use distilled white vinegar instead as it will be gentler on the pan’s finish.
2. Put the carbon steel pan in the sink and let it soak for a few minutes to loosen any stuck-on food or accumulated grease.
3. Use a non-abrasive scrubbing pad to gently scrub away at any stubborn residue on the pan while rinsing with hot water every now and then.
4. Rinse the pan thoroughly in hot, soapy water and use a clean cloth or paper towel to wipe away any remaining residue.
5. Dry the pan immediately with a soft cloth or paper towel and store it in a cool, dry place until ready for next use.
Following this simple cleaning routine for your carbon steel pan will keep it looking and performing like new for years to come. If you notice any signs of rust, use a little extra vinegar when cleaning as this can help to dissolve the rust. With regular care and maintenance, your carbon steel pan can last a lifetime.
Benefits of using Carbon Steel pan
Whether you can need pan for home kitchen or for commercial use, carbon steel is a great option. Carbon steel has some benefits that other materials don’t have.
Durability: Carbon steel is very durable. It can withstand a lot of wear and tear, which makes it perfect for use in a commercial setting.
Ease of Cleaning: Carbon steel is also easy to clean. Food doesn’t stick to it as easily as it does to other materials, so you can clean it quickly and easily.
Even Heating: Carbon steel heats evenly, which means your food will cook evenly too. This is perfect for ensuring that your food comes out looking and tasting great every time.
Affordable: Lastly, carbon steel is cheap. You can find pans made from this material for a fraction of the price of other materials.
Pre seasoned vs unseasoned carbon steel pan
Pre seasoned carbon steel pans are ready to use out of the box. They have been coated with vegetable oil that will protect the metal from rusting.
Unseasoned carbon steel pans must be seasoned before they can be used. This involves coating the pan with a layer of cooking oil. This process will create a naturally nonstick surface.
Pre-seasoned pans are perfect for those who want to start using carbon steel without having to season the pan themselves. Unseasoned pans are better for those who want more control over the seasoning process. They can also be used for high-heat cooking methods such as searing and stir-frying.
Carbon steel pans are not dishwasher safe and should be hand washed with a mild detergent. The reason for not being dishwasher safe is that the dishwasher will damage the pan’s seasoning.
But the good thing is, it is straightforward to wash carbon steel pans by hand and here are five simple methods of cleaning Carbon steel pan
A carbon steel pan is a great option for anyone looking for a durable, easy-to-clean, and affordable pan. Whether you’re using it at home or in a commercial setting, it will definitely live up to your expectations.