Cooking at home is a great way to save money, and eat healthily. But you can only do that if you have the right cookware.
It can occasionally be very tough to buy the right cookware because, with so many cookware options on the market, it’s hard to know which one is right for you.
In recent years, granite cookware appears to be regaining popularity. But before you start cooking with granite pots and pans, you might be wondering: is granite cookware safe?
In this blog post, you will find what is granite cookware, if it is safe to use, what are the benefits, and some of the drawbacks of granite cookware.
What is Granite Cookware?
You might believe that granite cookware is actually made of granite, but hold on.
Despite its name, graniteware does not really contain granite stone; rather, it just has a stone-like appearance.
Any type of cookware with a special granite-like coating is considered to be granite cookware. The coating is applied to the cookware during the manufacturing process, and it’s what gives the cookware its nonstick properties.
The most popular type of granite cookware on the market today is made by a company called CAROTE.
CAROTE cookware is made of aluminum, which is then coated with granite. This type of cookware is very lightweight and easy to use.
Construction of Granite Cookware
As mentioned, granite cookware is not made of granite stone. A granite pot consists of a nonstick porcelain coating, a metal core, and sometimes stainless steel plate depending on the brand.
The porcelain coating is what gives the cookware its nonstick properties and also its stone-like appearance.
The metal core is usually made of aluminum or steel. The aluminum core ensures that heat is evenly distributed throughout the cookware, while the steel core makes the cookware induction safe.
Each of these plays a crucial function in the overall performance of the pot or pan.
The nonstick porcelain coating is what gives the cookware its granite-like appearance. It is also this coating that makes the cookware nonstick. The porcelain enamel is applied to the metal core in a very high-temperature kiln.
Granite cookware usually has carbon steel, aluminum, or stainless steel core. Aluminum is a great heat conductor and will help to distribute heat evenly throughout the cookware.
Is it safe to use Granite Cookware?
Is it safe to use Granite Cookware?
One of the most important factors to examine when it comes to cookware safety is if there are any potentially dangerous chemicals or other toxic elements present.
However, the substance from which the nonstick coating of cookware is created determines whether or not that particular granite pan is safe to use.
Any kind of cookware that contains lead, PTFE (Polytetrafluoroethylene), or PFOA (Perfluorooctanoic acid) contents are not considered safe. These are exceedingly hazardous ingredients that do not adapt themselves well to cooking.
It depends on the manufacturer whether they use such chemicals or not. There are some brands that still include PTFE to improve the nonstick capabilities of the pan. While PTFE has not been found to be as toxic as PFOA, it is nevertheless associated with a number of health issues.
We recommend you read the product description. Ensure that it is completely free of lead, PTFE, or PFOA.
What are the Benefits of Granite Cookware?
There are several benefits of granite cookware, including:
1. Even heat distribution: Most of the brands of granite cookware use aluminum or copper in the base of their pots and pans. These metals are known for their excellent heat conductivity, so you can expect even heat distribution with granite cookware.
1. Nonstick surface: As we discussed earlier, the granite coating on the cookware is what gives it its nonstick properties. This means that you won’t have to use as much oil or butter when you’re cooking, and your food will slide right off the pan.
1. Easy to clean: Because the surface of granite cookware is nonstick, it’s also very easy to clean. You won’t have to scrub hard to get stuck-on food off the surface of the pan.
1. Affordable: Granite cookware is actually very affordable, especially when you compare it to other types of nonstick cookware. The best Example of Budget Friendly granite cookware is CAROTE Nonstick Granite 10 Piece Cookware Set.
What are the Drawbacks of Granite Cookware?
There are a few potential drawbacks of granite cookware, including:
1. Not always induction friendly: As the core of granite cookware is usually made of aluminum or another non-magnetic metal, it might not be compatible with all induction cooktops.
2. Can be delicate: The smooth surface of granite cookware can be delicate, and it is possible to scratch or chip the coating.
If you’re looking for a new type of cookware, granite cookware is a good option to consider. It’s safe to use, easy to cook with and clean, and it distributes heat evenly.
However, it is important to keep in mind that granite cookware is usually more expensive than other types of cookware.
Pros and Cons of Granite Cookware
Now that we know what granite cookware is and how it’s made, let’s take a look at some of the pros and cons of using this type of cookware.
- Non-stick surface: The non-stick surface of granite cookware makes it very easy to use and clean. Even if you are not a good cook, the non-stick surface will help to prevent your food from sticking to the bottom of the pan and burning.
- PFOA Free: PFOA is a chemical that is often used in the manufacturing of non-stick cookware. It has been linked to several health problems, including
- Even heat distribution: The aluminum or steel core helps to distribute heat evenly throughout the cookware, so you don’t have to worry about hot spots.
- Offer Induction-compatibility in some cookware: Not all graniteware is induction compatible. However, Granite cookware made up of cast iron or stainless steel offer induction compatibility which allows you to use the cookware on an induction cooktop.
- Lightweight: Granite cookware is usually lightweight compared to cast iron or copper cookware, making it easy to handle.
- Resistant to rust: The pan’s porcelain covering keeps the metal core from corrosion. This implies that with proper care, this cookware may survive for years.
- Not as durable as other types of cookware: The nonstick coating can eventually start to peel off with constant use.
- Not dishwasher safe: The nonstick coating can be damaged by the harsh detergents in dishwashing soap or other utensils.
Best Granite Cookware Brands
If you are looking for granite cookware, Here are a few well-known brands that offer a wide range of durable cookware, including granite cookware:
- KITCHEN ACADEMY
- Granite Stone Diamond
Is Granite cookware non-stick?
Yes, granite cookware is non-stick. The non-stick surface makes it easy to use and clean.
Are there any health concerns associated with using granite cookware?
There are no health concerns associated with using granite cookware as long as the cookware is free of lead, PTFE, and PFOA.
What to do if my cookware contains PTFE?
If your granite cookware contains PTFE, keep the temperature on medium (below 300 degrees Celsius) to avoid the coating from getting brittle and potentially harmful.
Granite cookware is a great option if you are looking for the nonstick cookware that is easy to use and clean. However, it is important to make sure that the cookware you purchase is free of lead, PTFE, and PFOA. If you take proper care of your granite cookware, it can last for many years.